Ah, fireteams. If you’re a vanilla player at heart, you find them clunky and hard to use. If you’re a sectorial player, you think all the vanilla players are crazy for not chasing those sweet, sweet +3 BS and Sixth Sense bonuses. Fireteams make a lot of sense if you’re using them to improve a light infantry trooper with a burst and BS bonus, but what if you didn’t? Are those profiles still worth taking solo? How do they slot into your playstyle? Are there other profiles that work solo?
Everyone has different opinions on what to include in a fireteam. This month’s mission is about taking a trooper you normally wouldn’t take outside of a fireteam and intentionally putting it in your list. This isn’t an exercise in taking a sixth Fusilier outside of a link for a 10 point order! This mission is about taking a Fusilier HMG solo and getting work done with it. That’s just an example, by the way, you don’t necessarily have to do that exact thing.
In the before times, right about when JSA broke off from Yu Jing, there was a contingent that thought very negatively about the Karakuri because they were “too expensive once you take the full Haris.” What we see today is many people taking Karakuri solo and getting some serious work done with them. Of course they work in fireteams as well, as I’m sure some of you have experienced.
The point is for you to prove to yourself that you can get work done with a solo unit outside of a fireteam. Sometimes the choice won’t be given to you if you suffer a particularly disastrous alpha strike which kills most of a fireteam, of course. Ideally this mission will get you to re-evaluate linkable units solo occasionally. If you choose to take it as a “worst case scenario training mission” like our recent missions about playing in Loss of Lieutenant or in a Fishbowl, that would also be a successful outcome.
- Make a sectorial with at least one trooper that you would normally link and don’t put it in a link. You can take a link if you’d like, but that trooper cannot join it.
- Play a game!
- Write in with your experience for the chance to win fabulous prizes!
Frequently Asked Questions
- I don’t play Nomads, can I still submit? — Yes! All factions are welcome!
- Can I submit from <X> country? — Yes! We take submissions from anywhere in the world, and will ship prizes anywhere you can get mail!
- Are TableTop Simulator games valid? — Yes! Stay safe out there!
How to Submit
- Let us know how you did by writing in to [email protected]!
- We’re accepting submissions until the last day of October, 2021!
- If you’re going to write a battle report, please use the battle report template below, and share it with [email protected].
- If you don’t want to write a battle report, that’s okay. Some prose capturing your thoughts and experiences is also acceptable!
If you share the Google doc with me, that saves me TONS of time handling the images. If you can, please avoid sending me a MS Word or LibreOffice file, and just click the “share” button in Google Docs. Sending me a file will get you caught by my spam filter!
As a thank you for participating, you’ll be entered to win a blister of your choice, shipped to your door by Mythic Games!
If you’d prefer a Bromad Academy patch, we can mail that to you instead! You only get one or the other though.
Winners will be selected by wheelofnames.com, because it’s AWESOME…
And that’s it! Good hunting, and stay safe out there!