There have been a lot of changes between N3 and N4, one of which has been the changes to how criticals work. Since critical hits no longer automatically cause a wound and instead force an additional armor (or BTS) roll, the relative value of high-ARM models has improved! I think it’s worth focusing on that fact explicitly, and try to leverage models with high ARM to cause problems for your opponents.
Just as an example, this is a pretty good roll, if you’re looking for 13’s on a linked HMG
I beat all of my opponent’s dice, causing a whopping 2 crits and 3 hits and forcing SEVEN saves! The target in question was a Marauder, which is ARM 6 in cover, and it passed all. seven. saves. I shot at it again with my linked HMG and landed a few more hits, which it also passed! HMGs aren’t low-damage weapons either, so while this was perhaps statistically unlikely, it does happen. In N3, the ARM wouldn’t have mattered as the first two crits would’ve obliterated the model, but now ARM 6 in cover is relevant. If you want to read more about that game, check it out here:
Even higher ARM models are even more troublesome! The changes to Mobile Brigada to make them ARM 5 is something I really want to try, for example!
It’s not just about having things that are hard to kill, it’s about having a plan for them. Are you going to put that Mobile Brigada with Missile Launcher covering a firelane, or are you going to run the hacker forward to fight its way to an objective through a hail of fire? How are you going to work the Brigada into your mission plan? Are you going to take a TAG and brute force your way through a TR bot? Your ARM 8 TAG only needs to roll 5 or greater to ignore an HMG hit, whereas the TR bot has to roll a 13! It might take a few orders, but it’s doable!
So, think about how to work in a high ARM unit into your list and gameplan. It could be as simple as putting something out for ARO that’s hard to remove or as complex as setting up a crossfire between a TAG and other support troops. Show your opponent the might of a pain train of heavily armored and armed heavy infantry! And maybe paint them up and send the results in to our painting contest!
A big thanks to Clint (pseudonymmster) for coming up with the idea for this mission! If you have ideas for missions that you want to share, send ’em in!
- Build a list with at least one of the highest ARM model in your faction (that you own, if you don’t want to proxy).
- Make that model a part of your plan to win the game!
- Execute that plan!
- Write in with your experience for the chance to win fabulous prizes!
Frequently Asked Questions
- I don’t play Nomads, can I still submit? — Yes! All factions are welcome!
- Can I submit from <X> country? — Yes! We take submissions from anywhere in the world, and will ship prizes anywhere you can get mail!
- Are TableTop Simulator games valid? — Yes! Stay safe out there!
How to Submit
- Let us know how you did by writing in to [email protected]!
- We’re accepting submissions until the last day of June, 2021!
- If you’re going to write a battle report, please use the battle report template below, and share it with [email protected].
- If you don’t want to write a battle report, that’s okay. Some prose capturing your thoughts and experiences is also acceptable!
If you share the Google doc with me, that saves me TONS of time handling the images. If you can, please avoid sending me a MS Word or LibreOffice file, and just click the “share” button in Google Docs. Sending me a file will get you caught by my spam filter!
As a thank you for participating, you’ll be entered to win a blister of your choice, shipped to your door by Mythic Games!
If you’d prefer a Bromad Academy patch, we can mail that to you instead! You only get one or the other though.
Winners will be selected by wheelofnames.com, because it’s AWESOME…
And that’s it! Good hunting, and stay safe out there!