Mission 046: Fresh Perspective
Thanks to trox for submitting last month!
I’ve been getting a little tired of playing the same missions over and over again for years. There have definitely been tweaks and changes, like this season’s pretty big changes with motorcycles, but sometimes it’s nice to have a palette cleanser! So, if you’re looking to have a different play experience to fight boredom or looking for a new perspective on Infinity’s core ruleset, try a different mission system!
It will also give you a new lens through which you can evaluate model profiles. For example, back in N3 there was always the debate between the Kriza HMG, Intruder HMG, and Gecko. There was a faction that staunchly argued that the Kriza HMG was the superior choice with no room for negotiation. As it turned out, most of the faction was not playing the Infinity Tournament System (ITS). Rather, they were playing Yet Another Mission System (YAMS), where the Kriza could accomplish objectives in addition to just raw damage output. In this environment, it was pretty clear that the Kriza is king: two wounds for resilience, no risk of being possessed, and can push buttons.
That’s a rather extreme example, but it does illustrate the point of how mission selection can dramatically change your valuation of units. After all, you need the “right tool for the job!” In any case, here’s a list of some alternative mission systems for you to try!
- Infinity Tournament System 13 (ITS13)- The current standard for ranked global Infinity games.
- Previous ITS Systems – The PDFs are floating around online and a few years worth are in Comlog, you can try some of the older missions!
- 20×20 – Random mission generator based on rolling 2d20 to select mission parameters from tables.
- Yet Another Mission System (YAMS) – Draw some cards, those are your objectives!
- VaulSC’s Mission Pack – VaulSC’s been putting out lots of missions and content for the Infinity community. It can be a little polarizing, but it’s certainly different and worth a look!
- Code One – Corvus Belli also put out a whole other game! You could try that out too!
- Recon+ – Probably my personal favorite for quick pickup games of Infinity. Smaller board, restrictions on listbuilding, etc. Fast to play, and a great teaching tool alongside Code One.
- Dire Foes and Narrative Mission Packs – Corvus Belli put out a ton of narrative missions to go along with various box releases and calendar events. Have a look!
- Campaign: Paradiso – If you’ve got the old N2 book, well, you can play that. You can also check out the Daedalus Fall book for an updated version of the campaign.
- TACOS – Another YAMS-like card based mission system. Thanks to Piotr for pointing this one out!
The point of this exercise is just to give you a fresh way to play the game, but the key thing to keep in mind, at least for me, is “how do I take my learnings back to competitive ITS play?” Did you learn to take risks in new ways? Is something that you previously never considered now a regular part of your toolkit? Write in and tell us about it!
Happy gaming. See you out there.
- Choose a mission or mission system you usually don’t play!
- Play a game using a “new to you” mission system!
- Write in with your experience for the chance to win fabulous prizes!
Frequently Asked Questions
- I don’t play Nomads, can I still submit? — Yes! All factions are welcome!
- Can I submit from <X> country? — Yes! We take submissions from anywhere in the world, and will ship prizes anywhere you can get mail!
- Are TableTop Simulator games valid? — Yes! Stay safe out there!
How to Submit
- Let us know how you did by writing in to [email protected]!
- We’re accepting submissions until the last day of June, 2022!
- If you’re going to write a battle report, please use the battle report template below, and share it with [email protected].
- If you don’t want to write a battle report, that’s okay. Some prose capturing your thoughts and experiences is also acceptable!
If you share the Google doc with me, that saves me TONS of time handling the images. If you can, please avoid sending me a MS Word or LibreOffice file, and just click the “share” button in Google Docs. Sending me a file will get you caught by my spam filter!
As a thank you for participating, you’ll be entered to win a blister of your choice, shipped to your door by Mythic Games!
If you’d prefer a Bromad Academy patch, we can mail that to you instead! You only get one or the other though.
Winners will be selected by wheelofnames.com, because it’s AWESOME…
And that’s it! Good hunting, and stay safe out there!