Jhokalups – Field Operation Action Report – 8
Bakunin vs Steel Phalanx
150 Recon+ – Sieze the Antennas
This week was a quiet one at the local shop. For speed of play my opponent and I elected to do a Recon+. Since I hadn’t prepared anything for the Recon format I decided to let fate decide what I played. So, we had a quick skirmish between a rapid response Bakunin force and a Steel Phalanx strike force, both attempting to secure the communication antennas.
Bakunin – 5
Steel Phalanx – 19 (fail)
Initiative: Steel Phalanx
1st Turn: Steel Phalanx
1st Deploy: Steel Phalanx
Steel Phalanx List:
For this game we used some WIP buildings that I have been making for a city block table. This week we put on the roofs and added some elevators. Added in some construction barriers, dumpsters and antennas, and we were good to go.
For this week we played true line of site, if a model could draw a line through the building, it could see through it.
I set my prowler spitfire up on the roof corner looking over two antenna. I had my Zeros set up in secluded spots to be able to lay down mines in ARO. The moderator was set down between a building and a dumpster, looking over the back field. Lt. Custodier was on the dumpster, prone and in cover. Riot Grrl choose to be in the building with a straight shot to the closest antenna. I held the Warcor in reserve, it went on the roof with the prowler.
The two FO Thorakites hid behind one building, and Alke behind the other. The Agema marksman set up on the roof. The Myrmidon was behind the far antenna. Two netrods successfully dropped in out of sight. And a Dactyl engineer was held in reserve then placed inside a building.
Top of 1: Steel Phalanx
First the Myrmidon used it’s impetious order to advance up. Another order had it advance up more and threw smoke triggering a Zero ARO, who dropped an e/Mauler. With one further order the Myrmidon attempted to Chain Rifle down the Zero, who dodged away. While the Myrmidon took an e/Mauler to the face, and failed BTS, isolating it. I also revealed my prowler to shoot at the Myrmidon, who passed that armor roll. The Zero dodged around the corner for the Myrmidon. Next Alke advanced up and shot the Zero off the table. Covered by smoke the Agema marksman advanced up his roof with impunity. It then took a shot at my Custodier. (Since it was just me and my opponent in the shop, and neither of us know the rules super well, we couldn’t find the reference that would have let the Custodier Dodge in face to face.) Hitting twice my Custodier took 4 armor rolls (multisniper double action) and was removed from the table. With that damage done, the Steel Phalanx used an FO Thorakites to secure the farthest antenna, then passed turn.
Bottom of 1: Bakunin
Well, that could have gone better, down two models and in loss of lieutenant. Not wanting to give up I had two goals, capturing my antenna and removing the Agema from the table. The Riot Grrl used her irregular to double move into base with the antenna. Unfortunately I misjudged angles and she got shot by Alke, fortunately she toughed it out. Converting the Warcor order to be regular, I had the Riot Grrl attempt to dodge and capture. She succeeded in dodging, but failed to secure the antenna. I had my prowler to shoot at the Agema, who dodged prone. I advanced up the Zero to try and cover the middle antenna and passed turn.
Top of 2: Steel Phalanx
Having killed a Zero, Alke became impetious thanks to Fury, she advanced up and took shots at my Riot Grrl, I chose to shoot back with her Combi Rifle, because I am some kind of genius (the Blitzen has the same bands as the Spitfire, shooting with the same results as Alke or dodging on 16’s would have been a better choice…), and my Riot Grrl goes down in a hail of bullets. At this point I inform my opponent that I have no specialists left (thank you random list generator) and with no way to take antennas from him he has won the game. We call it there so that he can head out to pack for the Thanksgiving trip he has the next day.
Final Score: 1 – 0 Steel Phalanx Victory
- As confident as I am in my abilities, I have only played 7 (now 8) games, I should only use the random list utility for ideas, not actual lists, yet.
- A model being shot out of or from through a Zero Visibility Zone can dodge with no modifier in Face-to-Face. This is under the Zero Visibility Zone rules. (maybe if I write it enough times I won’t forget again…)
- Leaving the Custodier visible was a mistake, probably a game losing one. Most of her kit could be used in zone of control anyways.
- The Riot Grrl Specialist has a Blitzen, and all Riot Grrls have Hyper Dynamics. Dodging on 16s and shooting on 16s are much better than shooting a Combi on 10’s.
- The Prowler has a cool kit. I will be using it again I’m the future.
- I could have swapped the Repeater e/Mauler Zeros with the FO Zero profile at no change in list points. But gaining two specialists and anti personnel mines, which would be more useful in Recon+. In a full game the repeater profile has some appeal, especially with the Custodier Lt. I think I got distracted by having a huge hacking coverage zone, and didn’t actually think about what would be useful.